Trust me - I'm a sports therapist.

Tuesday 9 March 2010

It was my second appointment with the sports therapist today. I had some more massage, which although not as painful as I'd feared, has left me with a cluster of bruises on my inner thigh!

Unfortunately, they couldn't give me any advice on training for the marathon other than to have a test run and build up slowly (they're more used to footballers and rugby players). I also lost some confidence in my therapist after she admitted that after having assured me my problem wasn't a bursitis during last week's appointment, she looked it up after I left and had a panic that she'd missed it and made it worse with a sports massage!

Previously, I'd thought that I was ok with the thought that London might not happen for me and had even picked my second choice marathon for the autumn. But as another week's ticked by without training and there's less than seven weeks to go, everytime I see a runner (which is quite often at the moment!) I feel a pang of sadness about how much running I've missed out on and disappointment at the thought of not being able to run London.

I think it's time to consult someone with running expertise to get a more definitive answer and put an end to the "Will I? Won't I?" saga ...

1 comments:

REM Runner said...

Mel,
Again, I just love your blog and have to laugh at how similar our experiences have been with our marathon training. I haven't been able to run in a few weeks and the Boston Marathon is 5 weeks away now... I've been writing on my blog about my physical therapy - (stretching, strengthening and rolling around on a styrofoam log thing). I think its "helping," but nothing is certain -- and I also get sad seeing runners outside.

Stay strong -- maybe this super-early tappering will benefit us! Best of luck from the US to the UK! -Julie a.k.a. the REM Runner

Post a Comment